Creating Play with a Purpose for 3-5 Year Olds that Combines Locomotor Movement, Music and Academic Learning.
For young children, academic learning is playful and exploratory. It’s ideal to create an environment where children can contribute their own ideas and problem-solving strategies. Through these collaborative learning activities, children are able to participate in the exercise game confidently. Halfpint Skillastics® allows instructors to use play to build success while creatively integrating academic goals and objectives. Halfpint Skillastics® incorporates oversize shape and color die, and 36 age-appropriate physical activities that are approved by Early Childhood Experts and aligned with the NAEYC Standards.
Watch it in Action!
How does it Work?
Thirty-six physical activity cards are scattered (color & shape side face up) throughout the playing area. The instructor determines what the “shape of the day” will be (heart, octagon (stop sign) or pentagon (house), and shares that shape with the children. The instructor then assigns one child to roll the shape and color die. If the child rolls a yellow/circle, the child looks for a yellow/circle card among the dispersed cards. Once the child finds the card, he/she displays it the other children and they find the “shape of the day” at the bottom of the card. The children counts the dots or recognizes the number in that shape and then everyone does that physical activity that amount of repetitions. Halfpint Skillastics® these developmentally appropriate activities can be utilized in so many ways!
Here are a few options;
- Utilize one die to highlight shape or color learning
- Display activity cards throughout the day for a quick activity break
- Integrate the music included that corporates 30 second musical segments of each of the 36 activities. Thirty seconds at a slow tempo and 30 seconds at a fast tempo
- Kindergarten Physical Education Classes
- Special Needs Population
- Dual Immersion Classes
- Pre-School Programs
- Day Care Programs
Halfpint Skillastics® Includes:
- Thirty-six (36), durable 5” x 7” Physical Activity Cards
- One (1), 6” Color Recognition Die
- One (1), 6” Shape Recognition Die
- Full Curriculum containing National PE Standards Alignment, Assessments, Rubrics, & Lesson Plans (Download)
- Music CD (72 tracks – 30 second musical segments for each activity at a slow and fast tempo) (Download)
- Detailed Explanation of Rules
- Detailed Illustration on How to Teach Each Activity
- Convenient Nylon Backpack Storage Bag
- 3-5 year olds