More Time Engaging in the Skillastics System Improves Physical Activity Levels
Skillastics Sustains Movement in Fat-Burning Zone
Heart Rate Response Research to Selected Skillastics® Games in Physical Education Classes by Lisa M. Walters | University of Northern Iowa.
This was the topic chosen for Lisa’s Master’s Degree in Physical Education, Sport and Technology at the University of Northern Iowa. She is a graduate assistant and Polar Scholar at UNI and teaches Middle School Physical Education at Grundy Center Middle School in Grundy Center, IA.
Average Heart Rate Results
- The overall average heart rate during Skillastics® was 142 bpm
- Based upon the set target heart rate zone of 125-185 bpm
This average heart rate of 142 bpm in this study puts the students comfortably in the energy efficient zone. This zone is also known as the fat burning zone. This zone provides cardiovascular benefits for the students and allows them to be active for a long period of time.
Lisa’s overall view of Skillastics not only as a researcher, but as a teacher is that:
- It provided initial interest to the students. It was placed in the center of the gym as the students came in and they were immediately interested in what it was and wanted to play it.
- It was extremely easy to implement. As soon as you teach the students how to play it and they have it down you, as the teacher, can become a participant while still keeping control of classroom management.
- Technology can be integrated easily. At the elementary level where they used the Fitness Skillastics game, the teachers scanned the manual images and used a PowerPoint to introduce each of the activities to the students as a large group.
- The games can be used as an instant activity or warm up in a PE or health class. Have it out in the gym and hand the students get in their own groups and play. One of my colleagues said they would like to use it in her college classes when the students would start to snooze off as an activity to get their brains working again. We all know that an active body produces an active mind.
- I know I didn’t study the Half Pint Skillastics, but I do play it with my pre-school PE class and they love it more than anything. The large dice fill up their little arms and cards are colorful and illustrated. Having the choice to focus on colors or shapes is a great way to change things up. I would recommend it to any Pre-School or Kindergarten classroom.
- Finally, my overall view of Skillastics is that it is a great addition to any PE curriculum. It provides our students with adequate time in the target heart rate zone that we should already be giving them. So, by using Skillastics as part of any PE curriculum you have peace of mind that you are giving your students the opportunity to improve their cardiorespiratory health.
To Read the Full Study, Download Below.