Staying Healthy During the Holidays
As the holidays approach, it seems like a common concern is how to enjoy all of the great food and not put on unwanted pounds. Finding ways to encourage your staff members to be more physically active is always a good idea, but it may be more accepted at this time of year. So, take advantage of the opportunity and find ways to incorporate more physical activity with the adults in your building.
Here are a few easy ideas to consider:
- Start an after school walking club. If staff members know that 10 minutes after the students are gone colleagues are going to walk for 30 minutes and all they need to do is put their tennis shoes on, many will take advantage of the time to visit and wind down at the end of the day.
- If you have an exercise room, encourage your staff members to take advantage of the equipment before or after school.
- Ask your administrator for time during staff meetings to lead the group in a quick activity break (at the same time talk about how teachers can successfully add physical activity breaks into their schedule and the benefits for them and their students!).
- During Profession Development days, offer to provide a little “fun” time for the staff. Let them experience some of the great Skillastics activities during this time. This is another good time to promote physical activity in the classroom!
- Invite teachers to participate in physical education with their students. This is great PR and the students love it when their teachers participate in some of the activities.
- Work with the administrator to offer “dress like a physical education teacher” days for people who are being physically active on a regular basis.
I know there are many more ways to promote physical activity with your staff but hopefully these simple ideas will motivate you to not only set a good example with your own exercise “habits” but also encourage others to join you in leading a physically active lifestyle.