Moving with the Alphabet
Moving with the Alphabet”
· Laminate the alphabet on 26 pieces of paper (one letter on one paper)
· 26 Skillastics Task Cards (Any Skillastics Activity Task Cards will work – Fitness, Fitness Xtreme, Let’s Move in School, Character is Cool, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis and Volleyball)
· Scatter all 26 laminated letter cards throughout the playing area.
· Lay a Skillastics Task card next to each of the 26 laminated letter cards.
· Designate an area in the corner of the playing area for children to go to after they have completed the “Moving with the Alphabet” assignment. (Teaching Tip: This area could include additional Skillastics task cards, balls, beanbags, scarves, anything that will keep the children active).
· On a signal or music, children scatter around the playing area, going to the first letter that spells their name.
· When they find the letter, they look at the Skillastics activity associated with that letter.
· The child does the activity the number of repetitions that were determined prior to play.
· When the child completes the repetitions, they search for the next letter in their name and repeat the process.
· When a child finishes spelling his/her name, they jog to the designated playing area in the corner and do an assigned activity in that area until everyone in the class has completed spelling their name.
· Appoint teams
o Each team is told to spell a word (each team has a different word, but has the same amount of letters in the words. For example, dog and cat).
o The first team to spell the word first and jog to the designated area, wins.
· Partner Up
o Partners work together on rotating to each of the cards and doing the activity.
o The partners pull a word out of a bucket and begin spelling.
o When the word is spelled, they go back to the bucket and spell another word.
· Sport Specific
o Lay equipment next to each card. For example, if you want the children to work on their basketball skills, lay a basketball or a ball that bounces next to each letter card and Basketball Skillastics Task Card. Teaching Tip: Place the Basketball in a ring or in a bucket. This will reduce the frustration of the ball rolling away. Or, you can line the cards along a wall, and lay the ball against a wall.