May is National Physical Education and Sport Month
May is National Physical Education and Sport month and offers a great opportunity to showcase your program. It’s important that everyone looks for ways to advocate for physical education and by planning a special event during May (and specifically the first week of May) you can help support those advocacy efforts.
Here are a few simple ideas to consider:
- Include a healthy quote as a part of each morning’s announcements.
- Start one day with a 15 minute “all school walk”.
- Ask your librarian to showcase physical activity or sport themed books.
- Invite parents/guardians to observe or participate in a physical education class.
- Send home physical education homework for families to be active together.
For more tips, check out NASPE’s “101 Tips for Implementing a Comprehensive Physical Activity Program”. Skillastics sponsored this document and we are proud to be a part of the “Let’s Move in School” initiative. If you are looking for a new product, check out the new Skillastics “Let’s Move in School” activity kit!