Practicing Shooting at Game Speed
I remember my college coach telling us that we practice hard so that the games would be easy. In other words, practice at game-like speed so when you step onto the floor for the game, there will be no surprises. I’ve included below a great drill to practice shooting at Game Speed. This drill works best with a partner.
- Mark five spots on the floor from which you normally shoot.
- The first person shoots 20 shots from the first spot and 2nd person rebounds the ball.
- The 2nd person then shoots his/her 20 shots from the same spot while the 1st person rebounds.
- Keep alternating shooters until both have taken 20 shots from each spot, which equals 100 shots each.
- If you do not have a partner, shoot 10 shots at each spot, rebounding yourself. In addition, between spots make 5 free throws, before you go to the next spot.
This and many other excellent drills appear in the book, WBCA’s Offensive Basketball Drills, by Tara Vanderveer, Stanford University.