May is National Physical Education and Sport Month
May is National Physical Education and Sport month and offers a great opportunity to showcase your program. It’s important that everyone looks for ways to advocate for physical education and by planning a special event during May (and specifically the first week of May) you can help support those advocacy efforts.
Here are a few simple ideas to consider:
- Include a healthy quote as a part of each morning’s announcements.
- Start one day with a 15 minute “all school walk”.
- Ask your librarian to showcase physical activity or sport themed books.
- Invite parents/guardians to observe or participate in a physical education class.
- Send home physical education homework for families to be active together.
For more tips, check out NASPE’s “101 Tips for Implementing a Comprehensive Physical Activity Program”. Skillastics® sponsored this document and we are proud to be a part of the “Let’s Move in School” initiative. If you are looking for a new product, check out the new Skillastics® “Let’s Move in School” activity kit!
Next Article: Skillastics® Grouping Strategies
Previous Article: Just Released – A New Spin on Basketball Basics DVD
“…The great thing about our initial session with Basketball Skillastics® is that it gave the average and below average kids a chance to shine because the Skillastics® method allowed an overweight girl to excel because she could count out her number of dribbles with confidence and also receive exercise in a fun way.”